Thursday, April 28, 2005

yay! i love talking about books

This is going to be so much fun! I added a couple of my own questions, because I was too excited to just stop after five.

You're stuck inside Farenheit 451. What book would you be?

  • Plato's The Republic, because it's been named as one of the most influential books ever written, so after they burned me, my loss would certainly be felt.

  • Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

  • Of course I have.

  • Which fictional character do you like the most?

  • Hallie, from Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Dreams. I'm not in love with the name, but I totally want to name one of my children Hallie now, because she's just that cool.

  • The last book you bought is...

  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert - I read the abridged version in French back in high school, and loved the story, so I wanted to read it in English so I could actually understand it.

  • What are you currently reading?

  • Bel Canto by Ann Patchett
  • - I really like her writing
  • All Over but the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg
  • - I've read it before, but it's a great story
  • Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury - we'll see how I like it.

  • Five books you would take to a deserted island

  • Scriptures Just because

  • The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, because it's really long and has a million sub-plots, so by the time I finished it, I couldn't remember the details of what happened at the beginning. So I could read this one over and over again and still be surprised by the plot twists.

  • War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, because, while it's a good story, it's not exactly a "light" read. If I really were on a deserted island, I'd probably be starved for some mental stimulation. Maybe if I read this enough, I could improve my vocabulary and literary skills instead of letting my brainpower wan.

  • Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, because it's long, so it'll occupy plenty of time, and it's heartwarming. Plus, I think I could read it repeatedly without getting sick of it.

  • We the Living by Ayn Rand, because I haven't read it, but want to.

  • What books, if any, do you NOT want to read?

  • DaVinci Code, or really anything by Dan Brown - maybe it makes me a book snob, but whenever there's that much hooplah made about a book, I'm generally disappointed when I read it.

  • Anything by Hemingway - sorry, but his writing style bores me to death.

  • Who are you going to pass this to?

  • Wendy, because she has a degree in literature and, even though she made me watch "What a Girl Wants", I totally trust her book opinions.

  • Chris, becuase he reads this blog, but NEVER COMMENTS. So I'm getting back at him for being a slacker blog reader. Do you still think I'm funny, Chris?

  • Derek, because maybe this will inspire him to start a blog. Or at least to comment so I know he's reading. And because he does everything I ask.
  • 2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    Pass it to me ALL you want.

    I ain't NEVER gonna Commment.

    No - Sirre Bob.

    Waittt


    I'm waiting for "Meet the Family" Part II >:)

    And Yes. You are still funny ;)

    Anonymous said...

    Brittany, let's rethink this deserted island thing. I for one, would like to see you get off that island so we can hang out again sometime. Unless you're stacked full of hidden boy scout knowledge, you wouldn't live long enough to make it through one of those long books, let alone all of them. Don't even think about a second time through them. The only real advantage I see to those really long books is that it's a lot of paper to help you start a fire when necessary.