Bacon-wrapped jalepeno poppers are an excellent pre-run snack. I had two of them right before my run today, and felt awesome.
Also, homemade jalepeno poppers are way better than frozen ones.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
I recently made a Texas sheet cake for a barbecue I went to. While it was a huge hit, everyone kept complimenting me on how good my "brownies" were.
Yesterday at the gym, all of the treadmills in front of the mirror were taken, so I couldn't stare at myself and admire how fantastic my hair looks after going 3 days without washing it. Instead I was forced to stare at the trainers. Bummer.
Posted by poodle at 10:37 AM
Sunday, July 14, 2013
I completed my second ever triathlon on Saturday up in Perryville, MD (North of Baltimore right on the Chesapeake). They had an international distance and sprint distance - since I only signed up 2 weeks ago and hadn't been in a swimming pool in over a year, I decided to go for the sprint.
I snapped the stinking valve off of my bike tube while I was pumping up my tires the night before the race, so I got to spend the evening changing my very first flat tire. It was harder than I thought it would be, but now that I've done it once, I feel much more comfortable going out on my bike knowing that I can handle it if I ever get a flat tire.
The morning of the race, I woke up extra early to make sure I got up to the race on time. When I was halfway there, I realized I had forgotten my bike helmet, so made an emergency stop at Wal-Mart to pick one up. (It's hot pink. I kind of love it.)
The race was pretty awesome. We swam in the Chesapeake, and the water was incredibly choppy so after about 30 seconds I was already pretty pooped. Don't worry, after I got warmed up I felt much better. I also realized that I am not a huge fan of the wave start since throughout the whole swim I would take about 3 strokes and then plow into somebody. But it kept me from getting off course like I did last year!
I learned from last year and actually ran to the transition zones instead of taking my time and walking. Apparently that's what you're supposed to do when you're racing.
I think this was the most fun I have ever had in a race. I decided that I am going to do a half ironman next spring. I think there is one in The Woodlands that happens to be the same week as my break from school! If I can find one out here, though, that would be even better.
Posted by poodle at 5:22 PM
Thursday, July 11, 2013
So this is week 1 of official marathon training. It turns out that after taking a month off from any speedwork, I am not as fast as I was a month ago. But don't worry, I still have 17 week left. Half of me thinks it's really fun and exciting to be training again and half of me wants to die.
I just bought these new running shorts, because they are really cute and they were on sale ($7!!!) and we all know that 1) I can't pass up a sale and 2) I always think I need more running clothes. Too bad they make me look like I peed my pants. (I didn't. It was just humid. Good thing I'm not easily embarrassed.) I guess I'll have to just wear these to the gym and as a swimsuit cover-up. No biggie.
On another note, I recently made this macaroni and cheese, and it is the best macaroni and cheese I have ever eaten. Step aside, Kraft. (Oh, wait. Kraft was never my favorite. Never mind.) So make it, and love it, and you can thank me later. I also added lots of chopped vegetables to add a little bit of healthiness to it.
Also, is anybody else's mind not at all blown by this little mathematical tidbit?
Posted by poodle at 5:50 PM
Sunday, July 07, 2013
Since school ended, I have been trying my best to enjoy my very last ever summer off. (Sad. But not that sad.) I have made sure to fill up my days with lots of fun. So here's what I've been up to:
1. Lots of reading. I headed to the library last week and checked out a few book, and am heading back again this week. My favorite so far has been The Running Dream. It is one of the best books I have read in a very long time. I also read Cutting for Stone (excellent, after a slow start), Playing for Pizza (just okay), Mindless Eating (fascinating), and The Last Time They Met (I didn't like it until the last page, but then I changed my mind). I am currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. If anybody has other recommendations, let me know!
2. Practicing French braiding my hair. Trust me, I need practice.
3. Signed up for a triathlon next weekend! It is a really short one so I haven't trained much besides my regular biking/running that I always do, plus I have been swimming laps at my friend's pool. I am pretty excited about it and might be ready for a re-match against Ryan next year. Maybe a half ironman? Now that I am in better shape I think I might be able to beat him... This is also why I want to learn how to French braid. French braids are the best triathlon hairdo ever.
4. Practicing my new commute to school! It is 45 minutes door-to-door, which might sound long, but the metro would take an hour and 15 minutes (assuming all of the trains/busses came on time. Which, let's be honest, will never happen.) Plus, the metro puts me in a bad mood. Biking does not. This will be for the best.
5. Buying a lot of crap that I will need for the fall. (A bike lock, a waterproof backpack, scrubs, a lunch box, etc.) Going back to school is expensive.
6. This week marks week 1 of official Outer Banks Marathon training!! I put together a nice training plan and am very excited to see how this race goes. My goal time is 3:25. I think I can do it. I snuck in a tempo run last week even though I was technically still "recovering" from my last marathon. It gave me an excuse to run on the treadmill instead of outside in the blazing heat we've been having. I might die.
Posted by poodle at 7:15 PM