Wednesday, April 06, 2005

if only they knew

I've now received my first official job offer. They callled me a few weeks ago to let me know that I was their "front runner," but now it's official. They want me to work for them.

They sent me a letter explaining how impressive they found both my sense of humor and my understanding of the material, and how comfortably and naturally I interacted with the students. What they didn't know was that the last time I stood in front of a high school class was when I myself was in high school, and my history teacher made me play the part of John Calvin for our class skit. And that she asked me in the middle of the performance if I was feeling okay, because I really looked just that miserable. (But I was dressed as a man, so could she really blame me?) I also failed to mention that I'm not usually as funny as I was that day, but since I only slept for 2 hours the night before my interview, and fatigue has the unique ability to pique my sense of humor, I somehow managed to make everyone laugh. I also forgot to tell them that, since I could potentially earn about three times the salary that some schools are currently offering, I am doing this because it's really, truly my dream, and therefore will accept just about any salary they offer, no matter how small. But judging by the offer they gave me, they picked up on this without my having to point it out. Smart people.

Most importantly, they don't know that nobody seems to care that I have zero experience working with high-school students. Because I've also received several offers to interview with schools that, unlike them, are located in towns that have more than 5 single adults. Offers to interview for jobs that I never even applied for. Life is looking pretty great right about now.