Monday, April 04, 2005

maybe, maybe not

My friend told me on Saturday night that he's trying to date me. Which, quite honestly, took me by surprise. I probably should have picked up on some of his I'm-trying-to-date-you hints. Like:

How he found an excuse to call me every single night last week,

Or how he made me cookies, just because I said I liked them,

Or how, when he noticed my chipped nail polish that was a result of running out of nail polish remover, a brand-new bottle of polish remover mysteriously appeared on my doorstep that very afternoon,

Or how I frequently catch him watching me from across the room,

Or how, when I was supposed to go out with him and his roommate, his roommate mysteriously didn't show up,

Or how he repeatedly told me that I am the epitome of womanhood, and how much he loves a woman who "exudes femininity" the way that I do,

Or how every other question he's asked me in the past week is whether or not he is correct in assuming that I am really, truly over my ex-boyfriend,

Or how almost every question he asked me that wasn't about how over my ex-boyfriend I am was about the vision I have for my hypothetical future family,

Or how he called me exactly 30 seconds after I left his house to tell me that he thought I looked great that day,

Or how, when I was watching conference, and was the only person sitting on a couch large enough to seat my institute teacher, his wife, all nine of their children, and quite possibly six additional full-grown men, he sat just close enough to me that he wasn't completely sitting on my lap,

Or how, every time I told him something new about myself, he put his hand on my leg and told me how impressive I am, and how the more he learns about me, the more impressed he is. (Although this one shouldn't necessarily be a sign that he wants to date me. Because I am amazing and impressive, and everyone, regardless of whether or not they're trying to date me, should notice my impressive qualities. Apparently humility isn't on the list, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

I should have picked up on these hints, but I didn't. And they're all probably reasons that I should want to date him. Among others, such as:

If I date him, I will have kissed 3 men in the past year, which would DOUBLE the total number of men I've kissed in my lifetime,

Or because he isn't aware of the existence of this blog, so I can exploit his idiosynchrosies for the amusement of my audience. I frequently write funny stories about my ex-boyfriend, but since he reads this occasionally, instead of publishing, I have to "save as draft" until a later date, when he has completely forgotten about this blog. And I'm always looking for more humorous material.

Or because, although I've never actually tried dating someone that I hadn't' already completely fallen for, my sisters think it would be a great idea. And I do everything my sisters tell me to do.

We'll see...

3 comments:

Katie said...

You've written funny posts about Derek? SHARE, SHARE, SHARE! If he can't take it, then he shouldn't have done it.

He sounds nice, if a little over the top.

poodle said...

He is a bit over the top at times. That's really my one major hangup. But I think I'm going to give it a shot.... I'll keep you all posted.

Anonymous said...

What a great site »