Thursday, April 07, 2005

bryan thinks i'm funny

I love using this blog to tell stories about ex-boyfriends. I've found that they generally prove to be the most humorous, probably because my attraction to a man is directly related both to how often he allows me to laugh at him, and how often he makes fun of me. But the problem is, I've only really fallen for two men in my whole life. The first was Ben, whom I loved mainly because he was brave enough to play "Jingle Bells" on the kazoo for our church's Christmas musical program, and because he handled my laughter rather gracefully after he informed me that he could never live in Britain because it was "right smack in the middle of Europe, and completely landlocked." So he moved to Wyoming instead. Much better choice. Then there was Derek, who had enough charm to convince me to not only purchse, but to actually wear an old bridesmaid dress from Goodwill, (something that I had promised myself I would never, ever do) simply because he honestly believed that it looked really good on me. But I still truly adore both of these men, so I will spare them the embarrassment of publishing their less-than-brilliant moments for the entire internet. (Derek, you can thank me later.)

Instead, I'll tell you about Marc, since I no longer have any particular attachment to him. I was initially attracted to Marc because our very first conversation consisted with his telling me how smart he thought I was, and how he was jealous that I was always the first to finish my programs during our C++ lab, and ended with an invitation to go skiing with him. Which was something that I had been trying for three years to get a man to ask me, with no luck. Later, however, he felt that the best way to win my heart was by telling me how awful I had looked that morning, but that he was glad to see I didn't look quite so horrible anymore. I accepted his invitation for a date, though, because he was smart enough to bring a candybar along with him. And if you can't win my heart through laughter, candy is your next best bet. I went on four dates with him, but finally had to end things because, although he let me laugh at him as often as I wanted, he was just too nice to ever laugh at my stupider moments. And if I'm going to make an fool of myself, (which everybody does at one time or another), I at least want the satisfaction of knowing that I am amusing those around me.

No comments: