As it turns out, next Thursday is national cookie day, which is a holiday I plan to celebrate in a big way. Namely by making these brown sugar cookies. (These are the same ones that Bexie made me for my birthday, and which I devoured in an embarrassingly short amount of time.)'
Thursday, November 29, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
I read this book at the recommendation of a coworker. She insisted that it was amazing. (She failed to mention that it is about a psychopath, and I didn't bother to ask if her favorite book also happened to be about completely psychotic, sociopathic, crazy people. It was.) So needless to say, when I started reading it, I had no idea what it was about. I finished it about a month ago, and when I put it down I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it. It's a story about a girl named Amy who goes missing on the afternoon of her fifth wedding anniversary. Her husband is the prime suspect. (Dun, dun, dun....)
The first half of the book is just kind of "meh". I kept reading just because I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and because I had nothing else to read at the time. I thought it was just an okay story about a weird dude, and then BAM! I turned one page, and suddenly I was completely hooked. The first half of the book took me about 2 weeks to get through; then I read the last half in one night.
This is not the kind of book I typically read, but a month later, I still can't stop thinking about it, so I guess that's a good sign.
Posted by poodle at 6:00 PM
Saturday, November 17, 2012
Erica, Brandie, and I ran in the Marine Corps Turkey Trot 10k this morning. (while wearing turkey hats, obviously)
Ben should start a career as race photographer. My two most flattering race pictures of all time were taken by him. (This one, and the Cherry Blossom 5k from a few years ago.) After looking at the race pictures from the marathon, I have been doing drills to try to improve my form. Everybody please admire the forefoot strike right here.
After the race, with my arms full of post-race snacks. To be honest, for me the quality of a race is based solely on the snacks provided. This race didn't let me down. (Although I really would have liked some bananas.)
Posted by poodle at 10:22 AM
Sunday, November 04, 2012
Monday, October 29, 2012
Otherwise known as The Most Flattering Video Ever Created.
Posted by poodle at 6:44 PM
Sunday, October 21, 2012
Friday, October 12, 2012
Tuesday, October 02, 2012
This week is spirit week at our school (yippee!), which means every day the kids (and teachers - double yippee!) get to dress up in a different theme.
Today was clash day. On principle, I do not participate in clash day. I see no need to intentionally make myself look like a fool, thank you very much. I do that perfectly well without wearing tacky clothes.
This morning, the chemistry teacher walked into the faculty room complaining that none of the other teachers had dressed up for clash day. Then he stopped, looked at me, and said "Oh, never mind. You clash!"
And then my self-esteem skyrocketed.
Posted by poodle at 5:44 PM
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
1. Hand-washing my running clothes. I am not sure why, but this totally makes my day. It doesn't matter how busy I am, or that I have ten loads of laundry waiting to go in the washing machine, I will always hand-wash my running clothes right after I finish a long run. Brightens my day every time.
2. A really clean room. Too bad this hasn't really happened in a while.
3. A great deal. Even on things I don't need. This is exactly why I need to stay away from Target. I know where they hide all of their clearance items and I am such a sucker for unnecessary kitchen gadgets.
Posted by poodle at 7:39 PM
Monday, September 17, 2012
So, our school recently started using this online gradebook that everyone thinks is super fancy because it allows the kids to go in and add a profile picture for themselves and list their "preferred name" next to their given name.
Posted by poodle at 7:42 PM
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Spending all summer doing only the things I wanted to apparently made me forget that working can be exhausting. And it didn't help that this week, my night classes started (anatomy and statistics) AND we had back to school night. (In case you didn't know, parents can be really tiring.)
Posted by poodle at 7:49 PM
Monday, September 03, 2012
Really, why did I think running a half marathon in Virginia Beach in early September was a great idea? Let me tell you, it was not a great idea. This was probably the most humid, disgusting, miserable race I have ever done. I was dripping by mile 3, and telling myself I only had 10 miles to go was not super inspiring. Augh.
Posted by poodle at 1:21 PM
Thursday, August 30, 2012
I am back. Please hold the applause.
Posted by poodle at 8:38 PM
Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Monday, April 23, 2012
I planted an herb garden! I have 10 different herbs (rosemary, thyme, basil, mint, dill, stevia, lavender, cilantro, rosemary, and oregano). They are all doing quite splendidly, and I can't wait to cook with them!
I joined my local CSA. Reading The Omnivore's Dilemma made me want to stop shopping at the grocery store and buy only from farmer's markets or local farms. The CSA I joined has a pick-up location right across the street from me and is not a bad deal. About $200 for produce May - November! (delivered every other week, which is plenty for me)
I also now want to harvest my own yeast. As it turns out it is surprisingly easy. I am going to try it out in a few weeks and make a loaf of bread with it. I will let you know how it goes!
I only have 3 weeks of school left with my seniors. Yippeee!!! They are delightful kids, but I am ready for a break from them.
I am finally getting a smartphone at the end of the month! And thanks to Carrie and Shawn, I am getting an awesome deal on it! Now I can join instagram, navitage my way around town, and play games. (Let's be honest, playing games is what I'll probably use the most.)
I ate the best pizza of my life last week. Next time anyone comes to DC, I am taking you to 2Amy's and making you order the Margherita Extra. You will thank me.
Posted by poodle at 11:40 AM
Friday, April 20, 2012
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
I cannot get enough of this spring weather. Sammy also loves it because it means he gets to go on looong walks through the woods and down to the river. I love it because I can take him on a long walk and still have time for a run before the sun goes down.
- I ran in the Cherry Blossom 10-miler a few weeks ago. The race was packed (as always) but the weather cooperated and I finished with my fastest time ever.
- Ashley got married this weekend, which meant I got to wear my Kate Middleton dress. (And I am also so happy for Ashley and Landon. Yay for them!)
- My running partner and I made a pact a while ago to take ourselves out to eat at some point during March. I cannot believe I have never discovered the beauty of eating out alone. I went to Eggspectation, sat outside, people watched, read my book, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.
- While I was out to brunch, I ordered french toast topped with plain yogurt, honey, and fruit. I will never, ever eat syrup again. I loved it so much I made myself almond and oat flour pancakes for dinner and ate them with yogurt, honey, and strawberries. And I might be eating that same meal every week for the rest of my life.
- I made a pretty fantastic Easter dinner of grilled salmon, balsamic roasted brussels sprouts with quinoa, homemade rolls, salad with homemade basil dressing, and strawberry shortcakes with basil-infused whipped cream. It made me feel better about the fact that my entire family had Easter dinner together and didn't even bother to call and tell me how empty their worlds are without me there. Thanks a lot, guys....
- I am now officially registered for summer classes at UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County). I will be taking Anatomy and Physiology I during the first summer term and Anatomy and Physiology II and microbiology during the second summer term. the best news is that all of the classes are on Tuesdays and Thursdays, which leaves MWF open for running, taking myself out to lunch, beating Ryan in the Gator Bait triathlon, etc.
- I am applying to nursing school for the fall of 2013!!!!! (Hence the summer classes. I have a lot of prerequisites to get out of the way.)
Posted by poodle at 6:32 PM
Wednesday, March 07, 2012
I am officially registered for the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon!!! Registration opened at 3:00 today, and sold out at 5:23. Good thing I was ready!
Posted by poodle at 5:26 PM
Tuesday, February 21, 2012
So my friend Hilary gave me homemade eucalyptus-lavender homemade brown sugar and almond oil body scrub for Christmas. It pretty much changed my life.
Posted by poodle at 7:48 PM
Posted by poodle at 7:33 PM
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
Thursday, February 02, 2012
Now that it's February I can share the New Year's resolutions that I am actually keeping. I have two. (What can I say, I'm ambitious)
Posted by poodle at 8:11 PM