Tuesday, March 01, 2005

dear butterfly,

Would you please stop flapping your wings? Pretty please? Now, I know that you're very beautiful, and only trying to make the world a more beautiful place, but really, you're triggering all sorts of snowstorms here in State College. And, in all honesty, I could definitely live without those.

Now, you're probably feeling pretty good about yourself right about now. I mean, you had this "butterfly effect" named after you while I, for one, have never had anything named after me. Well, besides a cactus. So you have sufficient reason to gloat and flutter about, just to see what meterological phenomenon you might create this time. But honestly, don't you think that's a little bit selfish of you? I mean, can't you think of others just this once? And when I say "others" yes, I mean me. Me, me, me. Me. You see, I'm not very skilled in the art of snow-driving, and tt's embarrassing to get my car stuck in a snowdrift and hold up traffic for five minutes while my fellow drivers brave the blustery winds to help push me out. I realize that this is something that you are completely unfamiliar with, as you spend your days dancing about in warmer climes, but I'm asking for your help. Just this once.

But, just so you don't think that I'm selfish, I'd be willing to strike a compromise with you. All I'm asking is that you hold off the wing-flapping for a few more weeks, just until it gets warm enough up here so as to trigger rainstorms instead of snowstorms. I love rainstorms. If you do me just this one favor, I will frolick through fields all springtime long, just to admire your beauty.

Sincerely yours,

Poodle

No comments: