Monday, September 03, 2012

VA beach half marathon

Really, why did I think running a half marathon in Virginia Beach in early September was a great idea?  Let me tell you, it was not a great idea.  This was probably the most humid, disgusting, miserable race I have ever done.  I was dripping by mile 3, and telling myself I only had 10 miles to go was not super inspiring.  Augh.


But I still managed to finish with a time of 1:51!  And, according to my Garmin (which I trust way more than the race coordinators) the race was actually 13.18 miles, NOT 13.1.  Making a person run an extra .08 miles at the end of a race is really just cruel.  

The race did redeem itself with the post-race goods.  There were Snickers Marathon bars, cold water, 20-oz bottles of gatorade, ice cold chocolate milk (my new post-race drink of choice), bananas, peaches, tuna (kind of a weird choice, but I took some home with me), bomb pops, and 7-11 slurpees!!!  So really, the slurpees made it totally worth it.  (They also handed out Gatorade, Gu, otter pops, cold wet sponges, and water along the race course.  And beer, but I didn't take any of that.)

Being the superhero I am, I managed to take 2 pictures (out of about the 20 total) in which I do not look like I might die.  I know, I know.  You all wish you could be me.  Haha.  I even went so far as to steal them from Marathon Foto's website for your viewing pleasure.



3 comments:

erica s said...

Yah, that race totally sucks! Way to go though and yay for fall weather!

Bexie Funk said...

those pictures are awesome! and this may be one of your funniest posts ever!

MOM THE BOMB said...

Bravo! I can't wait to run one with you in CA! Much cooler there.