Wednesday, September 07, 2005

a chemistry lesson

by Ms. Reed

Me: As we demonstrated yesterday in our lab, Dalton's atomic theory states that atoms cannot be created or destroyed.
Ryan: Is that really true?
Me: Yes.
Ryan: And all matter is composed of atoms?
Me: Yes, that's the first statement from Dalton's theory.
Ryan: So people are made of atoms?
Me: Yes.
Ryan: Okay, well, what about when babies grow? Are atoms made then?
Me: Nope.
Ryan: Well, then, where do babies come from?

Followed by much laughter from his classmates. And from me. Luckily he's a good sport.

Me: Well, Ryan, that is a discussion for another time.

1 comment:

Philosophical Karen said...

I wish I had you for my physics teacher in high school. Instead I had Mr. Adams, who always pronounced my name as if I were a pile of rocks ("cairn").