Thursday, June 16, 2005

storytime

Okay, so I know a few days ago I said that I'm back, but then disappeared again into the world of zero posts. But this time, I'm back for real. I just needed some time to return to my real life and pick up where I had left off. But now my life is picked up again (for the most part) and the parts that haven't been picked up were intentionally left lying. So everything is in order and I am again ready to entertain.

But first, I just have to let everyone know that my sister heard her baby's heartbeat for the first time yesterday! So that's exciting news for us. I think it's a girl, but she informed me that the mother is the only one who is allowed to have feelings about that until the sex is actually determined. Which won't be for a while still.

So. I was going to tell you a story. I would tell you a fantastic story about the end of my vacation, but I still have that empanadas-are-evil-and-there-are-still-lots-of-foods-that-make-me-ill feeling, so I think it'll be a few days before I really remember just how fantastic my vacation was. But when that happens, I will show lots of pictures and fill you all in on the delights that make up Peru.

Instead, I'll tell you a dating story, because they're always fun. Now, the last date I went on was last month, and that boy is now engaged. (Not to me.) So instead, I'll tell you about Ken. Ken was an engineer, and he and one of his engineering friends thought it would be a good idea to go on a double date with me and my sister. I spent the evening suppressing the urge to introduce myself as Barbie to everyone we met, because honestly, the only Ken I had ever heard of before this one was Barbie's boyfriend. But my sister informed me that the Barbie joke wasn't that funny, so I gave up on that. But kept telling it to myself over and over again, which resulted in spontaneous and unexplained bursts of laughter, which I believe Ken found to be quite a nuisance.

Well, I actually think that's all I can remember of my date with Ken and his engineering friend. Sorry it wasn't a better story. Maybe tomorrow...

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Tell your pregnant sister, "Whatever." I totally knew one of my good friends was going to have a girl.

(Although maybe telling a pregnant hormonal woman "Whatever" in a dismissive way is kind of rude and most likely dangerous. On second thought, just smile and nod)

Anonymous said...

Okay - non mormon here.
How can a guy be on a date with one girl and be engaged to another in a month's time?
Does 'engaged' mean something else in the world of LDS?
I've encountered the same sort of reference among mormons and I find it odd. Does 'engaged' mean 'courtship' or do you all just fly into eternity with all guns blazing?!?!?!?

poodle said...

he actually got engaged after knowing her for two and a half days. crazy insane, i know. and no, 'engaged' has no other meaning than that they have set a wedding date (august 6) and are going to sign away their eternities to each other then.

in the defense of the sane and logical mormons around the world, not everybody rushes into things that fast. and most of us actually think it's absolutley crazy and are seriously concerned for their marriage. but you're right, it can happens pretty fast among mormons. you'd think we'd know better, since we're always talking about how sacred and important marriage is....

Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » » »