Monday, June 13, 2005

i'm back!

I know, I know, you're all having parties in your little work cubicles because you're so excited. I'm that excited too, so you're not alone.

The flight home was fairly uneventful. (Meaning I didn't get sick on the person sitting next to me.) So that was good. But then I arrived at the Washington Dulles International Airport, and since my friend's sister couldn't pick me up, I hopped in a cab to take me on the five-minute drive to her house, since that's where my car was parked. So the cabbie started driving away, and asked me where I was headed. I told him the name of the street, and that it was only five minutes from the airport. He, of course, didn't know where Viking street was located, and I, of course, didn't have the EXACT ADDRESS, and although I reassured him very adamantly that I knew EXACTLY how to get there and that it was only FIVE MINUTES from the airport and that I would pay him for every second that I was in his car, he stopped the cab in the middle of the road, pulled my bag out of the trunk, threw it on the curb, and said "No address, I no take you."

I thought for sure that this must be some sort of joke. It wasn't. He was very serious about it. So I did what any normal person would do and dragged my sad little self back to the airport and promptly had a nervous breakdown. At least until a very kind man and his very kind father took pity on me and helped me make up an address that would satisfy the cabbie at least long enough to get me far enough away from the airport that he couldn't just dump me on the side of the road. I am eternally grateful to this kind man and his kind father.

I finally made it home to find that my new roommate had packed up everything I owned that I had been keeping around the house and left it all in boxes right outside my bedroom door. I took that as my cue to move out.

So, now I'm in a new apartment (with two closets!) and feeling well enough to eat pudding and grapes. Yum.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Wait, what? Go back to that new roommate packing up all your stuff thing...?

Katie said...

FYI-I have an office, with a door. This makes me very very important here.

It also allows the full dance number that I performed for no one upon learning that you were back in the US safe and sound!

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »