Monday, September 07, 2009

more book reviews

The Book Thief: The middle 300 pages dragged a little bit. (or a lot...) But the ending was phenomenal, and totally worth the wait. I would recommend this to just about anyone.

The Time Traveler's Wife: I'm still trying to figure out how this book is a national bestseller. I have lost all faith in the American public. Sigh.

Funny in Farsi: It is pretty funny. Too bad it's not very well written. But it's short, and definitely an enjoyable read.

My Sister's Keeper: Overall, it was a quick, enjoyable read, but the ending was such a cop-out. You cannot write a book entirely about a major moral dilemma, and then avoid resolving it.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: While it was interesting, I have to admit I couldn't read it straight through. It's the kind of book I had to read small portions of at a time. It did, however, inspire me to support local farmers by signing up for Washington's Green Grocer delivery service.

up next:

The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao: Erica and I are starting a book club to make sure we still hang out even though she ran off and got married. Who wants to join?

Into Thin Air: I read and thoroughly enjoyed Into The Wild, so I'm looking forward to this one.

5 comments:

bethy said...

it took you that long to lose faith in the american public?

Bexie Funk said...

i've really wanted to read the book thief so i'm glad you liked it. catching fire wasn't as good as the first but i still read it very quickly. and even though we've tried this for 4 years i totally want to join the club!

erica s said...

Loved Into Thin Air but I ready it like forever ago so I hope that still holds true. I just started Oscar Wao last night.

Charlo said...

Animal vegetable mineral was an odd one. I found bits of it enlightening, but overall scattered and watery. I disagreed with her on some points, but I do try to by local more now. I also want to try an heirloom turkey.

Charlo said...

buy.... buy local, not by local.