Monday, September 14, 2009

birth

Since about half the women I work with are currently pregnant, I obviously had to share with all of them the story of my niece's birth. (She was born in the front seat of the car while my brother-in-law attempted to flag down help.)


Since we were on the topic of childbirth, my co-worker Tom told me about when his wife was in labor with their first child. He put together an Excel spreadsheet that allowed him to enter the timing and duration of contractions and would signal an alarm when it was time to go to the hospital. Or something. I'm still not really clear why he needed an Excel spreadsheet, but at the time, it was his pride and joy.

I thought he was joking, because he has a tendency to make fun of his own dorkiness. (He wasn't joking.)

Unfortnately for him, by the time Excel let him know it was time to leave for the hospital, his wife was out the door and waiting in the cab. She almost gave birth in the car.

Lucky for her, they made it to the hospital in time to deliver.

4 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

There ARE limitations to Excel.

Lindsey said...

It's a good thing that women in labor can be quite assertive.

Graytoppop said...

But nerdiness knows no limits!!!!

Charlo said...

He should try marketing it to hospitals... I bet they could use some ingenious software that let them know when it was time for the baby to come.