Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Utah Valley Marathon race recap

This was absolutely my favorite marathon I've run so far.  Partly because I finished 21 minutes faster than my last marathon (3:34:12) and qualified for the Boston marathon, but the course itself was absolutely gorgeous.  When I lived in Utah, I don't think I ever realized how beautiful the mountains are! 
 
                                                        
 
This was the first marathon that I followed an actual training plan for, and it made a huge difference.  My time was way better, but the race itself was also much more enjoyable.  I never really reached a point where I wanted to cry.  (That came on Monday when we decided it would be a good idea to hike Mt Oympus on a day when I found it difficult just to walk up a flight of stairs.)


We got to our hotel in Provo at 11:00 Friday night, took pictures of our race outfits, and went to sleep for a few hours.  Woke up at 3:00 am to eat a PB sandwich, get dressed, and get on the bus to the start line.  One of my favorite parts of a point-to-point race is watching how long it takes to ride the bus to the start line and realizing that I am about to RUN that entire distance.
 
I brought along a new running treat this time: Huma chia energy gels!  They are the first fuel I have tried during a marathon that did not make me want to vomit.  In fact, they are really delicious!  They taste like strawberries (mostly because they are made from strawberries).  I will definitely be buying more for my next race!
                                     
 
 
 
Here I am around mile 10(ish?) staying hydrated and enjoying my strawberry goodness.  If it weren't for that dude totally getting in my way, these would be my favorite race pictures (mostly because I don't look like I'm about to keel over.  I have very high standards.)
 






 Crossing the finish line!!  I'm not really sure what is going on in this picture.  I look like I'm terrified of something:

 
As most of you know, I base my love of races on the post-race treats.  This race did not disappoint.  Although the water and Powerade were warm, they had Creamies popsicles, orange slices, Jamba Juice, and chocolate milk.  It was HOT, so I went for anything frozen.  Now I am excited to take a couple of weeks off from serious training before I start getting ready for the OBX marathon in November!


5 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Wow! You look great! I need a training plan. I'm so excited for you!

Bexie Funk said...

Go Poodle! maybe some year you can train me for a half marathon.

bethy said...

i LOVE the terrified picture. so sorry i wasn't there to see that in person!

erica s said...

Way to go!!!

Charlo said...

Sory I missed it! Congrats on being 4 minutes from your outlandish goal!