Sunday, July 07, 2013

what i've been up to

Since school ended, I have been trying my best to enjoy my very last ever summer off.  (Sad.  But not that sad.)  I have made sure to fill up my days with lots of fun.  So here's what I've been up to:

1.  Lots of reading.  I headed to the library last week and checked out a few book, and am heading back again this week.  My favorite so far has been The Running Dream.  It is one of the best books I have read in a very long time.  I also read Cutting for Stone (excellent, after a slow start), Playing for Pizza (just okay), Mindless Eating (fascinating), and The Last Time They Met (I didn't like it until the last page, but then I changed my mind).  I am currently reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.  If anybody has other recommendations, let me know!

2.  Practicing French braiding my hair.  Trust me, I need practice.

3.  Signed up for a triathlon next weekend!  It is a really short one so I haven't trained much besides my regular biking/running that I always do, plus I have been swimming laps at my friend's pool.  I am pretty excited about it and might be ready for a re-match against Ryan next year.   Maybe a half ironman?  Now that I am in better shape I think I might be able to beat him...    This is also why I want to learn how to French braid.  French braids are the best triathlon hairdo ever.

4.  Practicing my new commute to school!   It is 45 minutes door-to-door, which might sound long, but the metro would take an hour and 15 minutes (assuming all of the trains/busses came on time.  Which, let's be honest, will never happen.)  Plus, the metro puts me in a bad mood.  Biking does not.  This will be for the best.

5.  Buying a lot of crap that I will need for the fall.  (A bike lock, a waterproof backpack, scrubs, a lunch box, etc.)  Going back to school is expensive.

6.  This week marks week 1 of official Outer Banks Marathon training!!  I put together a nice training plan and am very excited to see how this race goes.  My goal time is 3:25.  I think I can do it.  I snuck in a tempo run last week even though I was technically still "recovering" from my last marathon.  It gave me an excuse to run on the treadmill instead of outside in the blazing heat we've been having.  I might die.

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

Good luck on the Outer banks! I need a treadmill for tempo runs. It's HOT out here!

Charlo said...

Give the french braid full credit. it is strait up the best water activity hair do ever, not just tryathalon. I am super serious. I will not go water skiing, or swimming in the ocean without it. ONLY way You can make it out of even a pool without your hair in impossible tangles.

It takes a ton of practice to do it to yourself. Thank goodness I wasted time every day in the back of drama class the first semester of 9th grade practicing and starting over. Now I do pretty dang good for doing it on my own head. Your arms will ache a lot at first whenever you try. Do it while watching tv or listening to an audio book or something... It will change your life.

But, pray tell, are you going to ride your bike in the winter? But really, awesome. I always thought it was dumb people would drive 20 minutes round trip to a gym, when they could save on the gym membership and ride their bike back and forth to the gym instead... or do their own yard work instead of paying a gardner and paying for a gym membership. The only problem is you might want to shower when you get to school... so you may concider practicing your commute to their gym.