Wednesday, June 05, 2013

the bomb-dot-com

My teaching career officially ended last Friday (unless you count proctoring and giving exams, which I do not).  I have to say, I was sad to see it end.  The group of kids I taught this year was my favorite group since my first year teaching.  Mostly because they thought that I was the "bomb-dot-com" (their words, not mine) and I pretty much felt like a celebrity every time I walked into the room.



My fifth period class (right before lunch) recently discovered that I keep snacks hidden in my bag, and now happily help me consume them every day.  Which I am thrilled to do, partly because it makes them love me even more (which, let's face it, is really good for my ego) and because I am happy that the girls are not afraid of eating real food.  A lot of our girls are "just really into being healthy" which translates into "just really into being skinny".  


On the last day of school, the girls in my last class insisted on getting pictures with me, and, despite the fact that lunch was starting, the boys all hovered by the door zipping and unzipping their bags (so I would think they were looking for something and not waiting for me) so that they could tell me "it's been real".  It totally warmed my heart, especially considering Pizza, Pizza, Pizza! was on the lunch menu, and they are 14-year-old boys.  



(This is the note my kids left me on the last day...  For those of you not fluent in text-talk, ILY means I Love You.  I am going to miss this job.)

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

So sweet!

Bexie Funk said...

aww! that's really nice. i'm glad you finished on a high note.