Sunday, January 20, 2013

lately....

So, a few major events have occurred over the past few weeks:


1.  I finally told my boss that I am not coming back to Bullis next year.  He said that it is going to be a huge loss for the school, but was very supportive and is excited for me.  He is writing me a recommendation letter (which I think will be AWESOME - he is in a program at Georgetown currently, and knows exactly what kind of skills most programs are looking for.)  We had a great conversation about how much my career as a teacher will benefit me.  It was hands-down the most positive conversation I have had about this career change yet.  I really have the best boss ever.  (This is not my crazy department chair boss, but my principal.)

2.  I found out that more than half of the students entering Georgetown's second-degree nursing program receive 80% tuition scholarships through their scholars program.  Up until now, I was applying there mostly just to see if I could get in.  Now it has become an actual real option ($8000 in tuition is way easier to pay back than $40,000.)  I could ride my bike to school every day, they have a great hospital system for rotations, and their program is really fantastic.  

3.  I registered for the Utah Valley Marathon in June!!!  I will be spending a week or so in Utah at the beginning of the summer!  If anybody wants to (a) come watch me run and cheer me on or (b) just hang out while I am in Utah, let me know!!!  Katelyn and I will both be running.  It looks like a beautiful course through Provo Canyon and ending on Center Street in Provo.  I am so excited!  I have way too many friends  and family in Utah that I haven't seen in way too long.  I am also looking for a fall marathon.  I am debating between Marine Corps again or maybe Chicago.  Or something else....

4.  I am trying to finish my entire Nutrition course in two weeks.  The way my schedule worked out, I am now taking 4 online classes this semester, which is stressing me out just a little.  (And by just a little, I mean a lot.)  Luckily, BYU's independent study classes are unbelievably flexible, so I can set my timeline however I want.  I usually don't promote BYU so heavily, but I recommend their online courses to anyone and everyone who has classes to take.  

5.  I have started tutoring 3-4 hours a week.  There is a kid who graduated from Bullis about 5 years ago, and ended up hating his job in finance.  So he is going back and taking all of the science classes he needs to get into med school.  I am tutoring him in his first physics class.  This job could not have come at a more perfect time.  It will more than cover the cost of all of my classes, plus give me enough money to make it through the summer after I stop getting paychecks from Bullis and before my financial aid for nursing school comes through.  (This will also be funding my trip to Utah in June.)  

6.  I bought a new pair of hot pink running shoes.  They are the style that I like (Nike Free), they are PINK, and they were half price.  Done.

4 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

i did byu independent study classes, they really are great. you can do as much or as little at a time that you want.

Kate said...

Wahoo!!! I love that you are running Utah Valley with me and that you will be here a whole week. We will have so much fun.

erica s said...

Yay for all the good news!

Charlo said...

I've been wondering what the latest was about nursing. Good Luck!


All the online classes just means that you will not be able to continue. reading 12 books a month... at least not the 12 of your choice.

THe babies are due about then. You should stop by and meet them, even if you are all sweaty from your marathon.