Wednesday, January 19, 2005

dreaming to life

Okay, there's something I have to admit. I'm always daydreaming. Even while I'm sitting in class, doing a great job of pretending to pay attention, writing down everything the professor says, I'm daydreaming. Replaying in my mind past events, imagining upcoming meetings and future encounters. But with all the daydreaming I've done in my life, I've never been able to dream in pictures. My thoughts always come as conversations, discussions, so I'm never alone. Ever. No matter how personal, how tragic, how emotionally invested my surmises, I'm always discussing them with a loved one, baring my soul to them. And hearing their response, feeling their comfort.

Maybe this is why I falter every time I try to talk about my emotions. Because I've reviewed over and over the response I want, so I rarely get it. I forget that they're listening and caring, and that's good enough.

1 comment:

Carly said...

I day dream, too. Especially in class. The problem is that I am the teacher of those classes, so it can get a little troublesome when I'm not paying attention. Thanks for the words of comfort about my sun beam!