Wednesday, August 13, 2008

so much to do

I'm planning another camping trip this weekend. We're camping at Antietam Creek campground, and then heading down to Harper's Ferry to rent tubes for a whitewater tubing adventure. I'm very excited.

Then next Monday, I'm headed down to Mexico City to hang out with my parents. They miss me. I miss them, too.

I also bought tickets to see the Warsaw Philharmonic in October, and to see the Peking Acrobats in February. I really love living here.

I made some Blackberry-lime sorbet this week that is to die for. This ice cream maker I bought was one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time. It was cheap and has been put to very good use this summer. Next up is nectarine sorbet, then maybe another batch of the lemon-buttermilk sherbet that was such a hit.

We are getting a new couch! A nice one! For free! This means that the LuvSacs will finally be banished to the basement. Halleluiah. Rochelle's friend is moving, and in typical DC fashion, her apartment complex charges a fee for moving furniture into the apartment, plus an additional fee if you want to use the freight elevator. (It's a highrise apartment, so NOT using the freight elevator is a little out of the question.) These fees, however, are waived if your furniture is bought new and delivered by the store. So it's cheaper for her to just give the couch away and buy a new one than pay all of the moving fees. We are the lucky winners.

In other news, my roommate lost her job because she thought that it would be okay to email her corporate office telling them how awful her boss is and demanding that they switch her to a different project or find her a new boss. They didn't take that very well. Now she thinks that we should pay her rent for her since she's woefully unemployed. I have one word for that. No. Rochelle had some much more colorful words to share.

9 comments:

Katie said...

Ohhhh crappy! When a roommate looses their job it is so tricky not to get tangled up in lending them money. Good luck.

Bexie Funk said...

Rochelle sounds funny! and i really want to go on a tubing adventure. you always do fun things i'm jealous!

bethy said...

i'd like the next blog to contain the colorful conversation that Rochelle and Julie (i can only assume it was her) had

rmreed said...

Harper's Ferry is fun
Mexico is better

Mrs. Case said...

Congratulations, you won my blog give away! Please email me at:

cagequeen@gmail.com with the address to send your cookies and which type you would like! The give away post states all the different choices but feel free to add a mix-in that's not listed if say, you really love coconut and I didn't offer it.

Thanks again for sharing your inspirational story!!

~Casey

MOM THE BOMB said...

Good insight, Bethy. It does sound like Julie.
And Ryan is SO right - Mexico City IS better! We had a blast this week with my friend, Dorothy.

BRANDON said...

either they charge some pretty outrageous fees (multiple hundreds of dollars) or she is planning on one very cheap couch.

America said...

It sounds like you are having a very exciting summer! We are already starting school :(

Charlo said...

I would take em up one at a time in the regular elevator, just to P them off.