Saturday, November 17, 2007

book reviews, long overdue

The Power of One: So I totally have a crush on Peekay. Too bad he's fictional. This is one of the most inspirational books I've ever read without even an ounce of cheese. I could read it over and over again.

A Walk in the Woods: So funny. It made me want to hike the beginning of the Appalachain trail over and over again just so I can meet some of these people who try it out.

It's going to make you have, like, you know, a heart thing. Like when your heart stops beating and you, you know, die?

You mean a heart attack?

Yeah, I think that's it.

Slaughterhouse Five: Very unconventional war book. I think I'd read more history books if they were written like this. Although I couldn't really get into it as much as I wish I had.

Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity: Eh. It was alright. Nothing is really as developed as I would have liked, so it's kind of a choppy read. But I guess that's what I should have expected from a reporter. They find one source that says what they like and move on. Funny thing is, that's what he makes fun of the whole book. Oopsies.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings: Sad story, but still kind of a feel-good book at the same time. Well-written. I'd recommend it.

Don't try This at Home - The Physics of Hollywood Movies: Every physics teacher should own this book. It's the best resource I've found in a really long time. Don't read it if you don't like movies to be spoiled.

The Teaching Gap: Totally changed the way I teach. I'm trying to talk my roommate into reading it. It makes me want to get into curriculum development.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Katie said...

Wow, cool comment before me.


I'm so glad you liked A Walk in the Woods. I thought it was hilarious, albeit dissapointing that they don't go all the way.

MOM THE BOMB said...

Cool comment actually is in Portuguese and is an advertisement for a link called Cresce.net. Brittany´s cool dad figured that one out. He´d like to thank himself for that.