Tuesday, June 16, 2009

book reviews

Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli (5/5 stars): I'm not sure you will ever find a book that so accurately captures human nature (particularly teenaged human nature). This book is heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once.

How to Win Friends and Influence People: Not the most enthralling book you'll ever read, and you could probably sum it up in about 1 paragraph, but not bad overall.

Farewell Summer, by Ray Bradbury: I didn't love it as much as I loved Dandelion Wine. Same characters, same author, but somehow not as good. Overall a nice story about growing up and growing old. (Strange ending)

Middlesex: So far, so good. As long as you don't mind reading a book about an inbred family producing a hermaphrodite, you'll love it. Surprisingly funny and refreshing.

2 comments:

MOM THE BOMB said...

So, could you sum up "how to win friends" in one paragraph so I can save time and not read it? (I know, lazy!)

Anne said...

I've been curious about Middlesex. Someone onced told me she'd let me borrow her copy and then she lost it, and I'm too lazy to go check it out from the library. Someday I'll do it, especially if it's good.

Have you decided what to photograph for our little project yet?