Sunday, December 23, 2007

some updates

#1: School is out!! Friday was our last day, and I am FREE until January 7!!! We spent the last two days of class building towers and other engineering-esque projects so we wouldn't all go crazy waiting for the final bell to ring.

#2: Our first book club meeting was a success. Everybody liked the book, except for Julie, who at least pretended to. How nice of her. And we ate the chocolates my students gave me for Christmas, and the homemade biscotti that Rochelle baked. Now I need to find The Story of Opal. This one is proving more difficult.

#3: I started reading The Prince, by Machiavelli. It's my friend's favorite book, and I agreed to read it as long as he would read The Schools Our Children Deserve, since that's one of my favorite books. He wasn't thrilled with the arrangement, but it turns out I'm pretty good at making him do what I want.

#4: I am finally going home tomorrow! I get to play with my nieces and nephew, buy them presents, and overall convince them that I am their favorite person on earth.

#5: I woke up early yesterday to brave the outlet malls. We arrived as soon as the stores opened, missed all of the crowds, and partook in all of the early bird specials. I finished my Christmas shopping and then bought myself two pairs of pants for $7.50 each, a sweater for $9.00, and another pair of pants for $3.50. I love bargain shopping.

2 comments:

Charlo said...

I read "The Prince." or at least a good chunk of it.
It was interesting... but someone's favorite book?

Charlo said...

Fun physics project-

In highschool, our final was to build a bridge using the physics knowledge we had learned. we could only use the provided sticks, and a specific glue. It had a maximum weight. (groups of 2 made them)


Then, we went into wood-shop and used one of those presses that measure pressure... and slowly put more and more weight on the middle of the bridges until they collapsed.

\My bridge didn't win, but it didn't loose either, so I was somewhat content.