Tuesday, June 19, 2007

policy

So I decided recently that I eventually want to go into educational policy. Good thing I'm moving to DC. I mainly want to do this because our current educational policy basically sucks. My friend, who teaches at a public school, sent me an email saying:

the 2 students I was most concerned would not pass the end of course state test and hurt my stats have been arrested and kicked out of school. So now I can reach my goal of 85% passing.

Which I found particularly odd, because I thought that no children were being left behind these days. Huh.

5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Way to fight the man, Poodle!

N.F. said...

Dang.

Crap like this makes me really doubt going into Special Education.

Erinello said...

PLEASE go into educational policy! There needs to be someone with common sense in there deciding how things go. I mean, we DO need accountability, because there are some crazy things going on in some schools. But all this AYP crap is ridiculous!

Charlo said...

I've known several people who have started teaching and stopped simply because of the bureaucracy of it all... it prevents many people from teaching as well as they could.

Charlo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.