Saturday, December 17, 2005

need to know

Can somebody please explain to me how a student can sit in my class all semester, try to sleep during my review session because he "already gets this stuff", tell me, when he turns in his midterm, that "gee, that was pretty easy", and then proceed to answer 3 questions correctly on the entire exam. Three. Out of thirty-one.

Three.

And one of those three happened to be the "name something you'd like to do in physics next semester" that I added on since it's the Christmas season and I was feeling in the spirit of giving.

Sometimes I just don't understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a student like that. He's in 7th grade, and he's always so confident that he knows the material, but then you find out he has no clue. For example, we just read The Outsiders. He read ahead and talked about how much he loved the book and somehow managed to get through all the assignments. Then one day, we were discussing the end of the book, and I realized he didn't understand even the main events in the book. So it's not as uncommon as you may think.

P.S. I love reading your funny student stories, cuz I can relate. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Wait until you teach at college. I had worse.