Friday, March 25, 2005

learn to ski

I think I have an invincibility complex. It never crosses my mind that maybe I couldn't handle something. Or that I might get hurt. I see something that I want to try, and I do it. I go into everything almost completely blind, knowing nothing except that it looks like fun. People are always trying to tell me about the skills and training needed to actually succeed, but I generally don't listen. Partly because I don't want to hear it, and partly because I've learned that people aren't always right. Besides, I don't really care that much about succeeding, I'm usually in for the experience, and nothing more.

So, in my latest attempt to conquer another feat, I went skiing. For the first time. I tried to buy a pass to ski the entire mountain, but the salesguy informed me that 99% of skiers don't make it off the beginner slopes on their first day, and it might be better for me to buy the beginners package. After my initial shock that anyone would ever suggest that I might not be able to conquer an entire mountain in three hours, my wallet spoke up and kindly reminded me that I am actually far worse than broke right now, and in order to save money, I should probably break down and buy the I've-never-skied-before-and-need-all-the-help-I-can-get package.

So, I didn't get to ski the black diamond slopes as I had hoped I would, but I totally mastered the beginning slopes. Seriously, I'm a pro. And skiing is way more fun than I had ever imagined. Way more fun.

But, even with all of the fun I was having, and the pro skier I was becoming, I just don't understand a few things. Like, why on earth they would put the beginner slope right next to the road. The road that cars drive on. Don't they know that beginning skiers generally don't know how to turn? And when a beginning skier is headed right off the ski slope and straight towards the road, she really has no option but to throw herself on the ground? Even though she knows perfectly well that throwing herself on the ground is not the best way to stop, and could potentially injure her wrist? And why they would put unpadded metal poles right at the bottom of the steepest section of the beginner slope? Now, I understand that ski jackets are thick and soft, and provide excellent padding (trust me, they really work wonders). But really, lets be serious here.

I still managed to escape with no cuts or bruises. Not even a sore wrist! I really am invincible.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Hooray for skiing!!!! We'll have to make a trip out in Utah next season!